Thursday, May 25, 2006

Fumes in the Daycare Center? Only in My World...

Tuesday: I go to pick up the big boys at their daycare center, only to find that they're in a completely different part of the building. (The company that owns the center also owns a Gymboree-like business, housed in the same building. That's where they were.)

When I asked why, I was told that in the roof repairs currently underway, they were using a glue that produced an odor that "smells really bad."

It wasn't until I went to get the boys' things that I realized the place smelled like it had been freshly spraypainted from floor to ceiling! "Smells bad" was the understatement of the decade.

And of course it triggered the boys' asthma, only a little. I felt badly -- they'd been really, really cranky that night, and I'd assumed it was because they'd missed a snack in all the hubbub. When I realized they were both working pretty hard at breathing in their sleep, I felt really bad! I 'd been a little short with them (three cranky kids under the age of five...you tend to be a little short occasionally!). I hadn't even thought it could have been their asthma/RAD acting up. Duh.

Wednesday: I have to say, I'm pretty psyched to finally be in the office three days a week. My plan is to go in Monday, Weds., Thurs, but I have an out-of-town, work-related party today, so I worked from home with Iggy, then dropped him with my Dad at 3:00 so I could make the 4:000 event. I'm happy. It's a gorgeous day, and I'm meeting my CEOs and some co-workers for dinner on the porch of a Victorian hotel. I'm wearing a long flowy skirt and dreaming of lemonade.

I'm about 25% of the way there when my mobile phone rings. It's the daycare. They're closing early because of the fumes. Can I please come get my kids?

I pull over and try to call my husband, because I *really* don't want to miss this event. I *really* don't want to turn the car around and pick up the kids instead of sitting in the sun with my coworkers.

And I'm EXTRA pissed off, because I'd specifically mentioned to the director that I was concerned about the odor because of the kids' asthma, and she assured me all was well. (I also told #1 son that he should ask for his albuterol if his chest hurt or if he was coughing. He's pretty reliable with stuff like this, despite his young age.) I had also spoken to the area director that morning, who neglected to mention the persistence of the fumes.

So I eventually get B on the phone, and he does leave early to get the kids, and MAN is he mad! He's especially mad because he's found out that the center was supposed to close at 3:00 -- and we didn't get called til 3:40!

Do you think they should have called the asthmatic kids' parents first? There definitely are enough of us!

And while I did make it to my event (yea!) I did arrive home to the terrible news that center would be closed today and Friday. :-(

So much for three days in the office THIS week.

The daycare did call the Department of Health, and apparently everything is safe, but they felt better airing out the fumes.

And PS, Little B is coughing tonight.

Do you believe this nonsens. I swear, Icouldn't make this stuff up if I tried!

No comments: