Friday, August 19, 2005

Annual Checkup

FYI, we had checkups for both boys yesterday -- 4 year for the big one, 15 month for the baby. All is well, fortunately!

But asthma boy is definitely a little runty! He's 25th percentile all around. It's fine; he's definitely healthy. But I can't help but wonder if it's due to the inhaled steroids.

This is a kid who was literally off the growth charts until just after his first birthday. (He wore a size 24mo outfit to his first birthday party.) Now he's a little peanut.

I can't worry about it too much. I'm sure I've heard his doctor say that once they're off the Flovent (or whatever corticosteroid they're on) they actually "catch up," making up for the growth they may have missed.

It sounds weird, but I'm sure I've heard it. Maybe I'll troll for confirmation data.

Anyway, I'll deal with short. Heck, I'm only 5'2"! I'd rather have him breathing than tall!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, am I procrastinating to be here again so soon. Anyway, I have definitely heard that they catch up with their growth once they are off the steroids. My boy's growth has been weird -- he was a preemie so he started off in the under 5 percentile and has fluctuated wildly. He just had a growth spurt and is back above 50 percent. But I have no idea if it will last -- you are right, breathing and short beats the alternative!

Anonymous said...

Is this site still active?