Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Chest tightness? S**t, maybe I DO have asthma!

So...I think I've mentioned this in previous posts, but I've been sick since before Thanksgiving. I've had a dry, chesty-cough, and I had a pretty crazy flue-like thing just before Christmas.

Turns out I've had a very persistent sinus infection, which has triggered reactive airways. The cough is really only present at night, or when I hit a blast of cold air. Or eat/drink something really cold. Or encounter a strong scent or fumes.

I'm on my second course of antibiotics (had to cut the first short when I had an allergic reaction!) and albuterol as needed.

But here's the thing: I've seen what albuterol can do to my kids, so I use it pretty conservatively. I have to be coughing a lot to take out the MDI (ProAir HFA).

But right now, I'm coughing less, but my chest feels really tight. I was trying to determine earlier if it was from the pec workout I did yesterday, heartburn, or actual tightness in my airways.

I think it is actually respiratory - and it's kinda creeping me out!! I'm going to buckle down and take some albuterol. We'll see if it helps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suggest that you use either Ventolin HFA (the only rescue HFA MDI that doesn't use ethanol as a solvent) or Xopenex HFA, and avoid Proair HFA and Proventil HFA like the plague. This is based on my own experience with all four, as well as thousands of comments from our petitioners.

I invite you and your readers who use MDIs to join our campaign to permanently legalize CFC MDIs (which are far safer and more effective than HFA MDIs according to clinical trials, FDA MedWatch data, and thousands of patients- this is posted on our site.)

Arthur Abramson
The National Campaign to Save CFC Asthma Inhalers
www.savecfcinhalers.org