Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pediatric Asthma is Just Weird Sometimes

Quick Update: Oz began a flare on Saturday -- just cranky and a little "off." He started coughing Sunday, and was coughing a lot on Monday. Monday night was a misery -- he woke up screaming because he couldn't stop coughing. Thank God we'd just gotten a lifetime supply of Xopenex from the mail-order Rx, and I'd already started DuoNeb.

I called and checked on him in daycare yesterday repeatedly, even though he'd been okay during the day -- just rough from late afternoon through early AM. But I was ready to pick him up if need be, and I'd left instructions to give him albuterol twice during the day.

I called the peds. pulmonologist yesterday just to give them a "heads up" and make sure I was taking action appropriately. I was sure I'd have to rush him over there this morning.

But, in typical asthma flare fashion, he was completely fine by the time I picked him up yesterday. Not a single cough the entire evening.

How weird is that? Monday night, he's coughing his head off. Tuesday night, nothing.

I'll taper off the rescue meds gradually, just to be safe!

No comments: